5 Steps on How You Can Fix Over-Optimized Internal Anchor Text
An anchor text is significant for prompting search engines to what it is that they are linking. Search engines assist in establishing relevance, which is an SEO ranking factor. However, just like keyword stuffing, over-optimizing internal anchor texts allows the search engine to tell when you are trying to manipulate your rankings – this is spam to the system.
If you are aiming for a smooth high ranking SEO, you have options in establishing a page. It has to be relevant for boosting SEO and also offers a quality user experience. The key is to understand the concept of anchor text, follow the steps to fix over-optimization, and observe SEO best practices!
What is Anchor Text?
Anchor text is the visible, clickable characters and words found on your page. It usually appears in a different color than the text surrounding it and is often underlined. It advisable if anchor text hints the user what to expect if they click on the link. Having a precise anchor text will help increase the tendency of the visitor to click on your link and give context to search engines.
Search engines, like Google, use external anchor text (text other pages use to link to your site) as a reference to how other individuals view your page and help tell what your pages are. While website owners usually do not have the authority over how other sites link to theirs, you can ensure that the anchor text you use within your website is functional, descriptive, and relevant.
If many sites recognize that a page is relevant, a page can manage to rank well even if the terms do not show in the text.
Importance of Link Texts to Search Engine Rankings
Links are significant to SEO. For instance, internal links are used to make your site structure clear to search engines. The text of a link helps search engines make use of your links – it gives them more context. Search engines use the link text as an indicator of the topic of the linked page. When the link text matches the keyphrase, the search engine will not identify which article is the most relevant for that specific topic and should rank for that keyphrase. Thus, anchor text is a factor in search engine rankings.
Aside from adding context to links for search engines, link text is also significant to your users. Anchor texts define the value of a link and tell them where it leads them. Utilizing the focus keyphrase in the link text can confuse both the search engines and the users. Therefore, you should avoid competing links.
Steps to Fix Over-Optimized Anchor Text
Anchor optimization is sure to be important in SEO because it can help improve your search engine rankings. However, over-optimized anchor text can negatively impact SEO. The following are the steps in fixing it before your search engine hits your site.
- Look for the over-optimized anchor text. The first thing you have to do in re-optimizing is to look for your over-optimized anchor texts. You can make use of automatic plugins, like Internal Link Juicer, to easily look for undesirable texts. After you found the over-optimized texts, you can now start diluting keyword-optimized anchor texts.
- Dilute keyword-optimized anchor texts. Go through your site and dilute any keyword-stuffed anchor texts. You can perform this by increasing your text links.
- Make relevant text anchors. Instead of inserting text links on each page, only input a text link if relevant to the content on the page. Since Google released the Panda update, you can visualize how Google is into higher rankings to pages with original and valuable content. Including lots of anchor texts in your relevant content makes Google think something spammy is happening.
- Utilize synonyms. A smooth technique you can add to your strategy is to use alternatives to your keywords. Making anchor texts with synonyms of your relevant keywords can aid increase rankings for other keywords. They are an easy alternative to utilizing the same anchor texts. But note, do not abuse this method!
- Avoid future over-optimizing. For future reference, do not over-optimize any of your anchor texts. This saves you a big job later.
Best Practices in Anchor Text Optimization
The primary step in anchor text optimization is figuring out the desirable target anchor text distribution for your niche. Here’s how to do it broken down to its basics:
- Analyze the Competition. A lot of SEOs discuss the need for a “natural” anchor text distribution. Upon describing it, it typically looks like this:
- 50% Brand & URL Anchors- only applicable to non-EMD/PMD sites.
- 25% Topic Anchors- “internal linking” would be a topic anchor for the keyword “high seo ranking”
- 10% Target Keyword and Longtail Anchors- has only one word of a keyword phrase you want to rank.
- 15% Miscellaneous Anchors- inquire now, click here, learn more, etc.
Your anchor text plan is not what you usually expect. There are niches where you have to consecutively hit the site with target anchors for a month straight until you can break into page 1. It may seem to look like an anchor text SEO in 2005, but there are times that it is what the niche is asking.
- Do Not Use the Same Target Anchor Text More Than Once. Anchor text selection is never different from making any SEO decision. There is a need to asking, “Is what I am doing look natural?” In the earlier days of seo, people who want to rank a “specific anchor text” would send all their anchors as “specific anchor text”- this doesn’t work anymore.
Money sites will have a distributed anchor text (50% brand & URL, 10% target keyword & longtail, etc.), but all 30 of their target anchors will stay as-is (specific anchor text, specific anchor text, specific anchor text,…). What are the chances of this happening naturally? The probability of 30 different websites linking to another website using similar target anchor text is significantly negligible. But if you have 500+ backlinks, it might tend to be “remotely possible.”
Do not use the same target anchor twice or more and mix up your keywords by putting up filler words. It would not only look more natural, but it would also give a better result with fewer links. Thus, it is better not to repeat anchors.
- Make Use of Your SEO Title Tag as an Anchor. The seo title tag is something you fill out using your usual SEO management plugins. It significantly identifies how the SERP result listing shows your page’s title. This anchor text statistically occurs quite frequently. Forums (for instance) will rewrite your anchor text and default to the title tag if an external site is linked.
The advantage of using the title tag as an anchor is that if you are optimizing it the right way, it should be full of keywords. Thus, when you reference it, it is statistically a common anchor.
- Anchors Should Suit Link Types. Links may come from numerous categories of sources. These are the few:
- Blog articles
- Link lists
Again, statistically, some anchor types are utilized more often with various link types.
- When stuck, break up your keyword phrase. For instance, your keyword is “best gym in Canada.” When stuck in the rankings and aren’t moving no matter how many links you throw at it, break the phrase and send “best gym” or just the word “Canada.”
A Canadian newspaper may write an article about gym facilities and services in the area. They would not be creating anchors like “Canadian best gym” for it is already depicted, provided that they are a Canadian newspaper.
- Brand + target anchors. Another anchor type that usually shows (especially in physical product niches) is a mix of target keywords and Brand or URL. This type of anchor is an easy way for you to sneak in more target anchors while diminishing the risk of penalty because they are coupled with branded/URL terms.
- Optimize relative to your URL. Anchor text over-optimization also depends on the URL you link to (not only because of the niche-specific target anchor text distribution). You will have minimal room to send an anchor with the same keywords if your URL has those same keywords.
- Diversify URL anchors. Note that when establishing your links, the goal is to try to copy the anchor text profile that would have been built naturally. This is the reason you should create a profile of diversified anchor categories as per the niche average. These categories are branded, URL, target, misc, etc.
- Long Phrases. Always remember, anchors for contextual links are trying to define what they are linking. At times, you can do it with a word, or sometimes 10. You can also mix in longer phrase anchor texts now and then.
- Construct anchors in English, not SEO-ese. In ranking local terms, such as “fitness gym New York”, what people typically do is create backlinks with the anchor “fitness gym New York.” Your primary job as SEO is to make it look like you are not doing your seo and to make it appear that individuals are linking to your sites on their own accord.
In the example “fitness gym New York,” no natural website would link like this. Rather, use “fitness gym in New York.” You are still getting credit for “fitness gym New York,” but you look natural while doing it, resulting in a better ranking boost.
- Synonyms. This technique is utilized to obtain credit for your keyword while avoiding over-optimization. Search engines have built-in extensive amounts of latent semantic indexing (LSI) and synonym matching in their algorithm. These are very obvious, but you might neglect them at times.
- Surround anchor text with related keywords. Surrounding your anchor text with adjacent keywords, longtails, and synonyms may help increase the relevance of that link.
Avoid Anchor Text Over-Optimization With Us
Over-optimizing internal anchor text on your site has negative consequences for your rankings. A search engine’s filters will identify you are spamming the system- this creates a greater tendency for your website to being hit with penalties and losing significant page rankings. Thus, it is essential to have a various selection of anchor texts.
With Internal Link Juicer, you can look for over-optimization signs, relevant target keywords, analyze your website, detect the content that needs improvements, utilize the tools that help you create concise content, link internal pages, set it in motion and send it to your search engine to recrawl it.
Ensure everyone on your team is on the same page to avoid future problems. Visit our page to view our packages.